Saturday

5 things

5 phrases/words that have become popular and drive me crazy!:

1. 9 times out of 10... - "You know, nine times out of ten the problem with your husband will resolve itself".

2. At the end of the day... - " I love spending money on italian handmade shoes, but at the end of the day, they are just shoes."

3. It is what it is... -" Montreal is dirty and cold but it does have great restaurants, oh well, it is what it is, right?

4. The word "actually" in any sentence. "I'm actually really tired". "Actually, he's a really cool dude." "Why don't you actually meet me at my car." "It is "actually" as popular as "like"."

5. The word "empowered". - "She now feels so empowered to start her own company."


I'd like to challenge myself and use them all in one paragraph. Here we go:

This weekend, I'm actually feeling so empowered by the thought of purchasing my own sailboat. I'm actually looking forward to the first the weekend out at sea with the Kennedy's. And you know, even though some of us are painfully wealthy, 9 times out of 10 , your friends will still love you. Money isn't everything and owning a huge wooden sailboat, well, it is what it is. Actually, at the end of the day, you're still the hot chick they knew and loved back at Yale. I love the ocean, actually, I get so empowered by sailing and yachting. Cheerio!

Actually, please stop using those words.

Whereever you are, there you are.
Get out... go on... get out..

6 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

I shit you not, a lot of these phrases upset me too!

Love, Dim.

5/8/06  
Blogger Steve H said...

holy crap, i hate 'at the end of the day'!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i used to work with people who use this, 'it is what it is' and about 50 other stupid phrases like 'circle back' and 'can you effort this'. it would make my ears bleed.

6/8/06  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Ok, I use all of these phrases except "empowered" because that is pop psychology speak and I can't bring myself to use it. I don't use "it is what it is" either because it doesn't mean anything. Everything else - guilty! Awful, I know.

Here are some other obnoxious and unforgivable things I find coming out of my mouth - mostly in the workplace - an environment where I am just playing a part anyway, however, real me or not, still unforgiveable:

"I don't have visibility of that"
"To be honest with you..."
"Six of one, half dozen of the other..."

There are more. I will stop now.

6/8/06  
Blogger B. said...

I'm very guilty of using "actually," but don't find myself using the others.

6/8/06  
Blogger Simone said...

d - your localized "I shit you not" has got to go!

h -I've never heard "can you effort this" ugh. that one sucks.

p - "To be honest with you..." is bad! I don't trust anything said after cuz I feel like you're just gonna lie. I know not you. Ha.

b - yeah, "actually" sometimes I am too. I hate it when I do.

6/8/06  
Blogger Clint said...

I recently overheard my boss telling someone else in the office that they hate it when people say "no problem". That's my replacement for "you're welcome".

Bad habits die hard.

7/8/06  

Post a Comment

<< Home